The Japanese American Archival Collection ImageBase contains digital reproductions of select photographs, documents, artifacts, artwork, clothing and textiles from the Japanese American Archival Collection. The focal point of the digital image collection is the incarceration and exclusion of Japanese Americans from Sacramento and the Northern California region during World War II. The images document the removal and evacuation of Japanese Americans from their communities, living conditions for the internees in the ten WRA internment camps, military service by men of Japanese ancestry in the 100/442 Battalion and the Military Intelligence Service (MIS), and relocation back into society. Emphasized in the internment experience is the education and schooling of the children; sports and leisure activities such as baseball, sumo wrestling, arts and craft programs and musical programs; health care and medicine; religious observance; and daily routines such as eating, dressing, and working. The collection also tells the story of Japanese American settlement in the region, mainly Florin, California, beginning circa 1880. These photographs and artifacts reflect the efforts of Japanese Americans to establish farming and business enterprises and social life and integration of Japanese traditions into the American culture. The collection also contains a small number of images from the post-War period that documents the reunions, anniversaries, and memorials of the internment and war experience.
- Fred Batt, Associate Dean
- Tamara Trujillo, Senior Associate Dean
- Sheila O’Neill, Head of Special Collections & University Archives
Implementation, Database Administration and Interface Design
- Carlos Rodriguez, Director, Library Information Systems
- Bin Zhang, Digital Information Services Librarian
- Charlotte Xanders, Head of Bibliographic Control
- Julie Thomas, Manuscript Librarian
- Lisa Roberts, Catalog Librarian
- Miranda Nighbor, Special Collections & University Archives Assistant
- Israel Yanez, Bibliographic Control Assistant
- Rosalind Van Auker, Education Librarian
Photography and Digitization
- Jane Derry, Reference Librarian
- Pam Macas, Special Collections & University Archives Assistant
- Payne Vang, Special Collections & University Archives Assistant
Special assistance was provided by Adrian Turner and the Online Archive of California (OAC) Staff.
The collections on this site all utilize the CONTENTdm Software Suite, a product of DiMeMa, Inc. ContentDM provides tools for digital collection management. It is scalable and is optimized for exceptionally large datasets. It permits the creation of multiple collections within one system and allows searching both individual collections or across multiple collections.
For more information about CONTENTdm, visit http://contentdm.com